Five Keys to an Eagles Win Over the Cowboys
5. Motivation – It only checks in at number five because it’s still up in the air, but if the Giants win over the Jets, the Eagles know their playoff hopes are dead. In that scenario, it’ll be difficult to be up for today’s game.
4. Slow Down Witten – With Asante Samuel out of the lineup, the Eagles will only be able to use Nnamdi Asomugha on Witten very sparingly. The big tight end is Dallas’s leading receiver and could do a lot of damage to the Eagles defense. Jamar Chaney, Keenan Clayton and Brian Rolle could land in coverage from the linebacker position, as could Casey Matthews. Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman may be key in stopping Witten as well.
3. Execute on Big Plays – If the Cowboys play the run, as I expect, then they’ll be leaving a lot of single-high safety looks. The Eagles will likely go after them deep in that scenario and it’s on Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson to execute when the opportunities arise. Throw Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper into that equation as well, as they could end up deep down field too.
2. Commit to the Run – Even if the Cowboys are slowing down LeSean McCoy, the Eagles need to give him the ball 20 to 25 times in order to keep the Cowboys honest defensively and keep opening things up for Jackson downfield.
1. Pressure Romo – Defensively, with Samuel out, the Eagles don’t match up particularly well in the passing game. As such, it will be essential to get pressure on Tony Romo and force him to make mistakes.
Please follow Ryan Messick on Twitter and like Philly Sports Report on Facebook.
The Eagles don't know yet whether they'll be playing for their lives when they get started, but they know they can't afford a loss. If the Birds fall, their season ...
NOVACARE COMPLEX, PHILADELPHIA, PA -- The first time the Eagles and Cowboys met, Philadelphia dissected Rob Ryan's defense as LeSean McCoy ran for 185 yards and two touchdowns in a ...
LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- The Philadelphia Eagles obliterated the Dallas Cowboys 34-7 as LeSean McCoy rushed for a career-high 185 yards and Michael Vick picked apart Rob Ryan's ...
LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- The Philadelphia Eagles scored on each of their first six possessions and LeSean McCoy ran for a career high 185 yards and two touchdowns ...
5. Stop the Run Early - The task of slowing down the Cowboys rushing attack should, in theory, be easier than usual. Sure, DeMarco Murray went off to the tune ...
The Philadelphia Eagles host the Dallas Cowboys tonight at 8:20 p.m. in another pivotal NFC East game. Philadelphia can ill-afford a loss after a 1-4 start left it scrambling to ...
Coming into the season, it looked like tonight's matchup between the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys would be fit for primetime as a battle between the NFC East favorite Birds ...
The Ryan clan is not known for its tight-lipped approach to coaching football. Like Buddy and Rex before him, Rob Ryan is no exception, so when Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver ...
Eagles Visit Cowboys With Postseason Hopes On the
Eagles Expect Different Looks from Cowboys Defense
Eagles Demolish Cowboys 34-7 as McCoy, Vick Lead
Eagles Crush Cowboys 34-7, LeSean McCoy Runs Wild
Five Keys to an Eagles Win Over the
Eagles and Cowboys Battle With Quarterback Protection at
Eagles Try to Climb Out of NFC East
Cowboys Rob Ryan Fires Back at Eagles, DeSean